A popular site for quaint church weddings, the original Waiʻoli Huiʻia Church was built by Hanalei’s first missionaries, William and Mary Alexander, who arrived in 1834 in a double-hulled canoe. Today the church, hall and mission house remain in the middle of town, set on a huge manicured lawn with a beautiful mountain backdrop.
The green American Gothic–style wooden church that passersby can see today was donated in 1912 by three sons of Abner Wilcox, another island missionary. The doors remain open during the day, and visitors are welcome. A 19th-century bible printed in Hawaiian is displayed on top of the old organ. The church choir sings hymns in Hawaiian at the 10am Sunday service.
Guided tours of the historic mission house are currently available for walk-in visitors (no reservations) between 9am and 3pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Check the Grove Farm website (http://grovefarm.org) for details.