Welcome to Anghiari
This unspoilt medieval hill town looms over the plain where the army of the Italian League, spearheaded by the Republic of Florence, famously defeated the numerically superior forces of Milan in 1440. Enclosed by massive walls, it is an easy detour for those travelling between Arezzo and Sansepolcro. The walls encircle steep cobbled lanes lined by houses, shops, churches and the Museo Statale di Palazzo Taglieschi, which has a modest collection of 15th- and 16th-century sculptures and paintings. The tourist office, on the almost vertical Corso Giacomo Matteotti just outside the walls, has accommodation lists. Find convenient parking on Piazza Baldaccio (aka Piazza del Mercato), just opposite.