Welcome to Castelsardo
The town was originally designed as a defensive fort by a 12th-century Genoese family. Named Castel Genoese, it was the subject of much fighting and in 1448 it fell to the Spanish, who changed its name to Castel Aragonese. It later became part of the Kingdom of Sardinia under the Piedmontese Savoy dynasty and, in 1767, took its current name, which means Sardinian castle.
Inland, the verdant hills of the rural Anglona district harbour a number of interesting sights, including a much-loved roadside rock resembling a proud old elephant.