Longships Lighthouse

Lighthouse in Land's End

Perched on a rocky reef, 1.25 miles out to sea from Land's End, this famous lighthouse is a marvel of maritime engineering. Built to warn ships away from this infamously dangerous stretch of coastline, the first structure was built in 1795 but was swamped by waves, and subsequently replaced in 1873 at the considerable cost of £43,870. Since then it’s somehow withstood even the worst of the Atlantic storms, and has been unmanned since 1988.

Advertisement