Certosa e Museo di San Martino
Originally built by Charles of Anjou in 1325, this former Carthisian monastery hilltop has been decorated, adorned and altered over the...
Museo Nazionale di San Martino
The Certosa di San Martino and its Museo Nazionale di San Martino are absolutely superb and must sees. What was once a Carthusian...
Only a few years old, this barrel-vaulted watering hole serves up infectious live music (anything from rhythm and blues to rock and...
This swing-a-cat-sized dining room – there are only nine tables – has an epic reputation for solid home cooking. Mamma Teresa's photo...
Lonely Planet review
This star-shaped castle was originally a church dedicated to St Erasmus. Some 400 years later, in 1349, Robert of Anjou turned it into a castle before Spanish viceroy Don Pedro de Toledo had it further fortified in 1538. Used as a military prison until the 1970s, it's now famed for its jaw-dropping panorama, and the Museo del Novecento , dedicated to 20th-century Neapolitan art.
The museum's collection of painting and sculpture documents major influences in the local art scene, including Futurism and the Nuclear Art movement. Standout works include Eugenio Viti's sensual La schiena (The Back) in Room 7, Raffaele Lippi's unnerving Le quattro giornate di Napoli (The Four Days of Naples) in Room 9, and Salvatore Cotugno's striking, untitled sculpture of a bound, wrapped, muted figure in Room 17. The latter strangely echoes Giuseppe Sanmartino's astounding Cristo velato (Veiled Christ), in the Cappella Sansevero .