Santander’s serene cathedral is composed of two Gothic churches, one above the other. The 14th-century upper church, off which is a 15th-century cloister, was extensively rebuilt after a 1941 fire, and contains the tomb of celebrated local scholar Marcelino Menéndez Pelayo. In the lower, 13th-century Iglesia del Santísimo Cristo, glass floors reveal excavated remains of Roman Santander. Displayed nearby are silver vessels containing the skulls of the early Christian martyrs San Emeterio and San Celedonio, Santander’s patron saints.