Welcome to Haulover
The first Moravian missionaries reached Haulover, 30km south of Bilwi, in 1860, and named it in honor of the sandbar that boats had to cross to enter the lagoon. Protected by the surrounding wilderness of Reserva Natural Laguna Kukalaya and Reserva Natural Layasiksa, Haulover is only accessible by water. It's a peaceful town of colorful wooden houses, where horses roam free on soft grass studded with coconut palms. There is no electricity here – the only sounds are the crashing of the sea and the occasional Miskito hit emanating from small, battery-powered radios.