Hilly Knighton (Tref-Y-Clawdd; the town on the dyke) is a lively, handsome town of winding streets and half-timbered houses midway along the Offa's Dyke Path National Trail and at one end of the Glyndŵr's Way National Trail. A popular stopover for walkers, it is so close to the border that its train station is actually in England.
The coming of the railway in 1861 and the growth of livestock farming saw Knighton's fortunes rise, but they fell again with the decline in population post WWII and failed attempts to turn it into a spa town. One disturbing piece of local folklore suggests that it was possible for a man to obtain a divorce by 'selling' his wife at the square where the 1872 clock tower now stands. Husbands would bring their spouse to the square at the end of a rope; the last wife was sold in 1842.