Sinclair Seamen's Church

Church in Belfast

Built by Charles Lanyon in 1857–58 to meet the spiritual needs of visiting sailors, this part church, part maritime museum has a pulpit shaped like a ship's prow (complete with red-and-green port and starboard lights), a brass ship's wheel and binnacle (used as a baptismal font) salvaged from a WWI wreck and, hanging on the wall behind the wheel, the ship's bell from HMS Hood (the pre-WWI predecessor of the more famous WWII warship of the same name).

Advertisement