When to Go
High Season (Jun–Oct, Jan & Feb)
- Wildebeest in the Mara usually from mid-July to October.
- January and February offer hot, dry weather good for wildlife watching.
- Sky-high lodge prices, especially July to October.
Shoulder (Nov & Dec)
- Short rains fall in October and November, but still an excellent time to visit.
- Prices drop from November, but advance reservations still a good idea.
- Excellent time for birdwatching as migrant species arrive.
Low Season (Mar–May)
- Long rains mean accommodation is much quieter and prices can be a bargain.
- Wildlife is harder to spot and more dispersed, but fewer vehicles.
- Some tracks are impassable and mosquitoes are rife.