Welcome to Joinville & D’Urville Islands
Joinville is the largest of the three islands at the Peninsula’s tip. It was discovered in 1838 by Dumont d’Urville, who named it for a French nobleman, François Ferdinand Philippe Louis Marie d’Orléans, Prince de Joinville. At the foot of the reddish-colored 300m-high Madder Cliffs (named for the red vegetable dye called madder) at Joinville’s western end are 45,000 nesting pairs of Adélies. Joinville’s northerly neighbor, D’Urville Island, was charted by Nordenskjöld in 1902 and named for Dumont d’Urville.