Welcome to Halley Station
Named after astronomer Edmond Halley, this is the most southerly British Antarctic station. Halley was established in 1956 on the floating 200m-thick Brunt Ice Shelf. The ice surface moves about 2m a day, and thus the stations required renewal every decade or so as they approached the ice edge. Three stations (built in 1966, 1972 and 1982) have calved off, and one (1989) is buried and closed.
Construction of Halley VI (www.bas.ac.uk) began in 2007 at a site near its predecessor, Halley V, and was designed to avoid the fate of the others by being built atop ‘jackable’ legs that rest on skis instead of foundations. This allows it to be towed (in separate units) by bulldozer to a different location – up to many kilometers away – when necessary. The plan works: in 2016–17 Halley VI was moved 23km to safety over the course of 13 weeks.