When Wilhelm Filchner discovered this ice shelf in January 1912, he named it after his emperor, Kaiser Wilhelm, who decided that the honor should return to Filchner. Berkner Island, separating Filchner from the Ronne Ice Shelf, is often the start of trans-Antarctic ski trips.
Argentina’s Belgrano II Station (www.dna.gov.ar), built in 1979 on a 50m nunatak 120km from the coast, accommodates 18 people year-round. Its predecessor, General Belgrano Station, was built on the Filchner Ice Shelf as a meteorological center by the Argentine army in 1954–55 and became a scientific station in 1969–70. The original Belgrano Station was abandoned in January 1980, having been nearly destroyed by snow buildup; it subsequently floated out to sea when the ice shelf calved.