At 250-odd years old, the Wykeham bursts with history – it used to be a brothel and also put Nelson up for a night (some say the events coincided). Creaking stairs lead to plush bedrooms that manage to be both deeply established but also on-trend; sleigh beds meet jazzy throws, oak dressers sport stylish lights. Simply smashing.
In the eccentric bar tankards and school canes hang from the ceiling and worn school desks lend pint-supping an illicit air. The menu (served noon to 2.30pm and 6pm to 9pm) covers the bar food standards, from well-executed burgers and fish and chips, to 24oz rib-eye steaks on the bone.
Information from Booking.com
This unique 18th-century inn is situated between Winchester Cathedral and the college, tucked away in the quietest corner of the city. The city-centre is a 5-minute walk away. Retaining many original features, the Wykeham Arms is known for its charm, excellent food, fine wines, log fires and local ales. Wykeham Arms has a range of individually-designed, luxury bedrooms with en suite bathrooms. All have period features and elegant decor. Free Wi-Fi is provided. The traditional restaurant and cosy bar are decorated with memorabilia and have a warm ambience. It is an ideal location from which to explore Winchester.
In response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), additional safety and sanitation measures are currently in effect at this property. Food & beverage services at this property may be limited or unavailable due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this property is taking steps to help protect the safety of guests and staff. Certain services and amenities may be reduced or unavailable as a result. Please note that some rooms are located in the main building and others are in an annex opposite the Wykeham Arms. Both buildings offer rooms upstairs, some of which are steep and narrow and may not be suitable for guests with reduced mobility. Dogs are allowed only in Luxury Double Room.
- On-site parking
- Staff follow all safety protocols as directed by local authorities
- Fire extinguishers
- Internet services
- Family rooms
- Use of cleaning chemicals that are effective against coronavirus
- Linens, towels and laundry washed in accordance with local authority guidelines
- Food can be delivered to guest accommodation
- Cctv outside property
- Physical distancing in dining areas
- Screens or physical barriers placed between staff and guests in appropriate areas
- Contactless check-in/check-out
- Guest accommodation is disinfected between stays
- Physical distancing rules followed
- Free parking
- All plates, cutlery, glasses and other tableware have been sanitized
- Guests have the option to cancel any cleaning services for their accommodation during their stay
- Smoke alarms
- Cashless payment available
- Shared stationery such as printed menus, magazines, pens, and paper removed
- Hand sanitizer in guest accommodation and key areas
- Process in place to check health of guests
- First aid kit available
- Guest accommodation sealed after cleaning
- Golf course (within 3 km)
- Non-smoking rooms
- Non-smoking throughout
Food and drink
- Free WiFi available
- Meeting/banquet facilities
- Pets are allowed. Charges may apply.