Lonely Planet review
The gilded spire of the old Admiralty , at the western edge of Dvortsovaya pl, is an unmistakable city landmark. It was here that the Russian navy had their headquarters from 1711 to 1917, and today the building houses the city’s largest naval college. Constructed from 1806 to 1823 to the designs of Andreyan Zakharov, it’s a prime example of the Russian Empire style of classical architecture, with its rows of white columns and plentiful reliefs and statuary. Check out the nymphs holding giant globes flanking the main gate. The gardens and fountain here are particularly lovely in summer.