Guadalajara weathered some false starts. In 1532 Nuño de Guzmán and a few dozen Spanish families founded the first Guadalajara near Nochistlán, naming it after Guzmán’s home city in Spain. Water was scarce, the land was dry and unyielding and the indigenous people were understandably hostile. So, in 1533 the humbled settlers moved to the pre‑Hispanic village of Tonalá (today a part of Guadalajara). Guzmán disliked Tonalá, however, and two years later had the settlement moved to Tlacotán. In 1541 this site was attacked and decimated by a confederation of indigenous tribes led by chief Tenamaxtli. The survivors wearily picked a new site in the valley of Atemajac beside San Juan de Dios Creek, which ran where Calz Independencia is today. That’s where today’s Guadalajara was founded on February 14, 1542, near where the Teatro Degollado now stands.
Guadalajara finally prospered and in 1560 was declared the capital of Nueva Galicia province. The city, at the heart of a rich agricultural region, quickly grew into one of colonial Mexico’s most important population centers. It also became the launch pad for Spanish expeditions and missions to western and northern Nueva España – and others as far away as the Philippines. Miguel Hidalgo, a leader in the fight for Mexican independence, set up a revolutionary government in Guadalajara in 1810, but was defeated near the city in 1811, not long before his capture and execution in Chihuahua. The city was also the object of heavy fighting during the War of the Reform (1858−61) and between Constitutionalist and Villista armies in 1915.
By the late 19th century Guadalajara had overtaken Puebla as Mexico’s second-biggest city. Its population has mushroomed since WWII and now the city is a huge commercial, industrial and cultural center, and the hi-tech and communications hub for the northern half of Mexico.