Kaiserburg

Kaiserburg information

Location
Nuremberg , Germany
More information
www.schloesser.bayern.de
Prices
adult/child incl museum €7/6
Opening hours
9am-6pm Apr-Sep, 10am-4pm Oct-Mar
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Construction of Nuremberg’s landmark, the immensely proportioned Kaiserburg, began during the reign of Hohenstaufen King Konrad III in the 12th century and dragged on for about 400 years. The complex, for centuries the receptacle of the Holy Roman Empire’s treasures, consists of three parts: the Kaiserburg and Stadtburg (the Emperor’s Palace and City Fortress), as well as the Burggrafenburg (Count’s Residence), which was largely destroyed in 1420. Wedged between its surviving towers are the Kaiserstallung (Royal Stables), which today house the DJH hostel .

The Kaiserburg Museum chronicles the history of the castle and provides a survey of medieval defence techniques. Other Tardis-like sections open to visitors include the royal living quarters, the Imperial and Knights’ Halls, and the Romanesque Doppelkapelle (Twin Chapel). The latter poignantly illustrates the medieval hierarchy: common folk sat in the dimly lit lower section, with the royals entering up above directly from the palace.

Enjoy panoramic city views from atop the Sinwellturm (Sinwell Tower; 113 steps) or peer into the amazing 48m-deep Tiefer Brunnen (Deep Well) – guides lower a platter of candles so you can see its depth; it still yields drinking water.

The grassy knoll at the southeast corner of the castle gardens (open seasonally) is Am Ölberg , a favourite spot to sit and gaze out over the city’s rooftops.