Dove Cottage information
Lonely Planet review
This tiny, creeper-clad cottage, on the edge of the village, famously belonged to William Wordsworth. He arrived here with his sister Dorothy in 1799, before being joined in 1802 by his new wife, Mary, and soon after, three children, John, Dora and Thomas, who were born here in 1803, 1804 and 1806 respectively.
The tiny cottage was a cramped but happy home for the growing family until 1808, when it was subsequently rented by Thomas de Quincey (author of Confessions of an English Opium Eater ).
Like nearby Rydal Mount, the cottage's cramped rooms are full of artefacts: keep your eyes peeled for the poet's passport, a pair of his spectacles and a portrait of his favourite dog Pepper, given to him by Sir Walter Scott. One upstairs bedroom was lined with newspaper by Wordsworth's sister Dorothy to try and keep out the draughts.
Entry is by timed ticket to avoid overcrowding, and includes a guided tour.
Next door, the Wordsworth Museum & Art Gallery houses one of the nation's main collections relating to the Romantic movement, including many original manuscripts.