Parque Calderón

sights / Squares & plazas

Parque Calderón information

Cuenca , Ecuador
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

On one side of this park/plaza stands the whitewashed ‘old cathedral,’ also known as El Sagrario . Construction began in 1557, the year Cuenca was founded, and in 1739 La Condamine’s expedition used its towers as a triangulation point to measure the shape of the earth. It is now deconsecrated and serves as a religious museum and recital hall.