Boquerón is something of the wild child of west coast fishing towns, a place that pulses with the colorful beats of the Caribbean, and colorful characters who wander among wooden-shack restaurants and open-air food stalls. Rightly famous for its sheltered balneario and up-and-coming marina, Boquerón is surrounded by a verdant patchwork of refuges, nature reserves and state forests – a nuance that lends the settlement a refreshing small-town, semirural feel. Down here in the island’s extreme southwestern corner, a tangible sense of isolation contrasts with the maelstrom elsewhere and many stressed-out sanjuaneros happily tackle the three-hour drive from the capital to bliss out on the region’s palm-shaded beaches.
Historically, Boquerón’s legacy is possibly even older than Caparra’s. Certain scholars have claimed that this is where Columbus first set anchor when he ‘discovered’ the island of Puerto Rico in 1493. However, no town existed here until the 1700s and the new colony’s administrative focus was ultimately centered further to the east.
Boquerón attracts travelers of all types, from wealthy yachters to brightly dressed Rastafarians, and has lately become a favorite destination for islanders. But with few restaurants outside the standard mom-and-pop luncheonettes, the atmosphere remains informal and relaxed. There’s a lot of fun to be had at the waterfront, particularly at night when the two main roads are shut down to traffic and people can indulge in the favorite Caribbean pastime of limin’ – hanging out, chilling, and moving from one bar to another with a drink in hand.