Daru was the colonial headquarters for Western Division, the former name of the province, from 1893 and remains the capital today. It is on a small island of the same name, not far from the mouth of the Fly River. The main drawcard is the fishing, but some sailors moor here en route between Australia and PNG.
The river port of Kiunga is the most northern navigable point on the Fly River and the start of the Kiunga–Tabubil Hwy, the only all-weather road in the province. Slurries of copper concentrate from the Ok Tedi mine are sent here to the waiting barges along a 137km pipeline which runs parallel to the highway.