High on a hill, this labyrinthine walled village with a tree-studded central square got its name from ‘Rahmatu’llah’, meaning ‘Divine Gift’ – a legacy of the 10th-century Saracen occupation. Jazz and theatre fill the tourist-packed streets during August’s Festival de Ramatuelle and Jazz Fest, and it's a wonderfully scenic stroll.
This medieval postcard-perfect hilltop village sits 3km inland from the Golfe de St-Tropez. It's crowned with the dramatic shell of Château du Grimaud, built in the 11th century, fortified in the 15th century, destroyed during the Wars of Religion (1562–98), rebuilt in the 17th century, and wrecked again during the French Revolution.
Gigaro & Cap Lardier
On the south-eastern coast of the Presqu’île de St-Tropez, Cap Taillat is guarded by the Conservatoire du Littoral and shelters some of France's rarest plant species as well as a population of Hermann tortoises. Cap Lardier, the peninsula's southernmost cape, is protected by the Parc National de Port-Cros.