go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Introducing Wangaratta

Wangaratta (just plain old ‘Wang’ to the locals) is a busy commercial centre situated along the Hume Hwy and the turn-off for the ski fields along the Great Alpine Rd, and for the Rutherglen wine region. As such, plenty of people pass through Wang year-round. The name means ‘resting place of the cormorants’ and the town sits neatly at the junction of the Ovens and King Rivers – the first buildings, in the 1840s, were based around a punt service that operated until 1855. These days, Wangaratta is a modern industrial and textile centre with all the facilities of a provincial town, as well as lots of goldmining and bushranger connections.