Though steeped in Welsh heritage, Trelew isn’t a postcard city. In fact, this uneventful midsized hub may be convenient to many attractions, but it’s home to few. The region’s commercial center, it’s a convenient base for visiting the Welsh villages of Gaiman and Dolavon. Also worthwhile is the top-notch dinosaur museum.
Founded in 1886 as a railway junction, Trelew (tre-ley-ooh) owes its easily mispronounced name to the Welsh contraction of tre (town) and lew (after Lewis Jones, who promoted railway expansion). During the following 30 years, the railway reached Gaiman, the Welsh built their Salón San David (a replica of St David’s Cathedral, Pembrokeshire), and Spanish and Italian immigrants settled in the area. In 1956 the federal government promoted Patagonian industrial development and Trelew’s population skyrocketed.
Trelew is situated 65km south of Puerto Madryn via RN 3.
The center surrounds Plaza Independencia, with most services located on Calles 25 de Mayo and San Martín, and along recently renovated Av Fontana. East–west streets change names on either side of Av Fontana.