The UK strictly controls its borders and will not hesitate to deny entry to travellers lacking the correct visas or other appropriate documentation.

Customs Regulations

  • Goods brought in and out of countries within the EU incur no additional taxes provided duty has been paid somewhere within the EU and the goods are strictly for personal consumption only. Duty-free shopping is available only if you're leaving the EU.
  • Travellers arriving in the UK from other EU countries can bring in up to 800 cigarettes, 400 cigarillos, 200 cigars, 1kg of tobacco, 10L of spirits, 20L of fortified wine, 90L of wine and 110L of beer, provided the goods are for personal use only.
  • For travellers arriving from outside the EU, the duty-free allowance for adults is a maximum of 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco; 4L of still table wine; 16L of beer; 1L of spirits or 2L of fortified/sparkling wine; and £390 worth of all other goods (including gifts and souvenirs). Anything over this limit must be declared to customs officers. People under 17 do not get the alcohol and tobacco allowances.
  • For details of prohibited and restricted goods (such as meat, milk and other animal products), and quarantine regulations, refer to the HM Revenue & Customs section of


Not required for most citizens of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA.

Further Information

  • If you're a citizen of one of the European Economic Area nations or of Switzerland, you don't need a visa to enter Britain.
  • Citizens of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Malaysia, Japan, Israel, Brazil, Argentina, the USA and several other countries do not require a visa to stay for up to six months as a tourist, but are prohibited from working.
  • Visitors from most other countries will need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa (£87).
  • Visa regulations are always subject to change, so check with your local British embassy, high commission or consulate before leaving home. For more information, visit