Attractions

Historic Building in Con Son

Tiger Cages

The notorious cells dubbed 'tiger cages' were built in 1940 by the French to incarcerate nearly 2000 political prisoners. There are 120 chambers with ceiling bars, where guards could poke at prisoners like tigers in…
Historic Building in Con Son

Phu Hai Prison

The largest of the 11 jails on the island, this prison dates from 1862. Thousands of prisoners were held here, with up to 200 prisoners crammed into each detention building. During the French era, all prisoners were…
Cemetery in Con Son

Hang Duong Cemetery

Some 20,000 Vietnamese prisoners died on Con Son and 1994 of their graves can be seen at the peaceful Hang Duong Cemetery, located at the northeastern edge of town. Sadly, only 700 of these graves bear the name of t…
Historic Building in Con Son

Phu Binh Camp

On the edge of town, this prison was built in 1971 by the Americans, and had 384 chambers. The cells had corrugated-iron roofs, and were infernally hot. The original structures remain in situ, but there's not that …
Buddhist Pagoda in Con Son

Van Son Temple

This large hilltop temple complex enjoys fine views over Con Son town and islands offshore to an ocean-filled horizon. A steep staircase (of over 100 steps) leads up to the traditionally designed pagoda structures, …
Museum in Con Son

Bao Tang Con Dao Museum

This impressive museum has more than 2000 exhibits, including many rare documents, dioramas and excellent photographs, which comprehensively record the island's history, including the French colonial era and of cour…
Museum in Con Son

Revolutionary Museum

Located in the former French commandant's residence, this museum has exhibits on Vietnamese resistance against the French, communist opposition to the Republic of Vietnam and the treatment of political prisoners. Yo…
Historic Building in Con Son

Cow Shed

Built by the French in 1930, this crumbling complex was initially known as the 'pigsty' as prisoners were kept in farmyard-style quarters and fed like swine. Later it became known as the cow shed. It's on the north …