Advantour (www.advantour.com) Excellent background information from a top-notch agency.
Karakalpakstan (www.karakalpak.com) Everything you wanted to know about Karakalpakstan and more.
Caravanistan (www.caravanistan.com) The best source on information on visas.
Orexca (www.orexca.com) Good background articles on Uzbekistan.
Lonely Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com/uzbekistan) Destination information, hotel bookings, traveller forum and more.
What to Take
- Cash US dollars to pay for accommodation and at least one Visa or Mastercard (preferably both).
- English reading material as there's nothing available locally.
- A wide-brimmed hat as the sun can be incredibly strong.
What to Wear
Light, loose-fitting clothing is the best for summer, though shorts are not appropriate for either men or women. Women should avoid baring arms or legs in conservative rural areas and the Fergana Valley.
- Amass all the crisp, clean US dollar bills you'll need before arriving in Uzbekistan.
- Make sure you have prescriptions for any medicines (and leave the codeine at home).
- Give yourself a few weeks to get your visa, longer if you need a letter of invitation.