- Sofitel Lafayette Square Bright, airy rooms in a revamped historic building tinged with Parisian chic.
- Kimpton George Hotel Mod lodging near the Capitol with pop-art presidential accents.
- Chester Arthur House Logan Circle manor stuffed with chandeliers, oriental rugs and character.
- Hotel Hive What it lacks in space it makes up for in stylish cool.
- Henley Park Hotel Historic building with character, charm, paisley, plaid and afternoon tea.
By Budget: $
- Hostelling International – Washington DC Big, amenity-laden hostel that draws a laid-back international crowd.
- Adam's Inn Twenty-seven rooms in which to make yourself at home, in a couple of Adams Morgan townhouses.
- HighRoad Hostel Modern dorms and upscale amenities near Adams Morgan’s nightlife.
- William Penn House Quaker-run guesthouse with garden and dorms.
By Budget: $$
- Kimpton Carlyle Oft-overlooked, art-deco beauty sitting amid Dupont Circle's embassies.
- Pod DC Hotel Small rooms but big hipster perks like an on-site diner, rooftop bar and reasonable rates.
- Phoenix Park Hotel Irish hospitality and homey rooms by Union Station.
- Tabard Inn Offbeat, TV-less rooms set in quirky Victorian row houses.
By Budget: $$$
- Hay-Adams Hotel Old-school luxury a stone’s throw from the White House.
- Watergate Hotel Designer property where you hobnob with the jetset crowd.
- Jefferson Luxurious, romantic, Parisian and often considered DC’s top address.
- St Regis Washington Built to look like a grand Italian palace, with rooms opulent enough for nobility.
- Line Hotel DC Repurposed church with airy rooms and a radio station broadcasting from the lobby.
- Kimpton Mason & Rook Hotel Rooms like a chic apartment, plus free bicycles and a rooftop bar.
- Graham Georgetown Stately and stylish digs, right in the heart of Georgetown.
- Kimpton Hotel Monaco DC An 1839 building transformed by bold-green decor and stone lions.
For Political Intrigue
- Willard InterContinental Hotel The center of Washington, where the term lobbyist was coined and MLK wrote his 'Dream' speech.
- Mayflower Renaissance Hotel JKF, J Edgar Hoover and Eliot Spitzer enjoyed the hotel's pleasures.
- Washington Hilton Where President Reagan was shot; now a popular business hotel.