The most visible gay communities are in major cities. Utah and southern Arizona are typically not as freewheeling as San Francisco. Gay travelers should be mindful that simply holding hands in predominantly rural areas could provoke aggressive responses.
The most active gay communities in the Southwest are in Phoenix, Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Las Vegas. Conservative Utah has little gay life outside Salt Lake City. The following are useful resources:
- Damron (www.damron.com) Publishes classic gay travel guides.
- Misterb&b (www.misterbaandb.com) Social networking site with an extensive database of gay-friendly rentals and hotels.
- OutTraveler (www.outtraveler.com) News, tips and in-depth stories about gay travel for destinations around the world.
- Purple Roofs (www.purpleroofs.com) Lists gay-owned and gay-friendly B&Bs and hotels.
- National Gay & Lesbian Task Force The website of this national activist group covers news and politics.
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund The website lists legal protections for LGBT people and their families by state.