Visa Waiver Program
Currently, under the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP), visas are not required for citizens of 38 countries, including the UK, Australia, New Zealand, EU countries, South Korea and Japan. VWP regulations state the following:
- You must have an e-Passport with electronic chip.
- Visa waiver is good for 90 days, no extensions.
- VWP visitors must register only with the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA; https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov) at least 72 hours before their trip begins. Once approved, ESTA registration is valid for up to two years.
- If you don't meet any of these requirements, even if your passport if from one of the listed countries, you'll need a visa to enter the USA.
- Note that though not a part of the VWP, citizens from Canada do not require a visa for 90-day stays.