Getting travel insurance to cover theft, loss and medical problems is highly recommended.
- Some policies do not cover 'risky' activities such as scuba diving, motorcycling and skiing, so read the fine print. Make sure the policy at least covers hospital stays and an emergency flight home.
- Paying for your airline ticket or rental car with a credit card may provide limited travel accident insurance.
- If you already have private health insurance or a homeowner's or renter's policy, it is critical to find out what those policies cover and get supplemental insurance. You do not want to have a medical emergency in the US and then find you are not covered – the costs for even minor treatments are often astronomical.
- If you have prepaid a large portion of your vacation, trip cancellation insurance may be a worthwhile expense.
- Worldwide travel insurance is available at www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-insurance. You can buy, extend and claim online anytime – even if you're already on the road.
Checking insurance quotes…