Attractions

Historic Site in Sitka

Sitka National Historical Park

Lincoln St ends at this 113-acre park, Alaska’s smallest national park, at the site where the Tlingits were finally defeated by the Russians in 1804.Totem Trail leads you one mile past 18 totems first displayed at t…
Museum in Sitka

Sheldon Jackson Museum

East along Lincoln St on the former campus of Sheldon Jackson College is Sheldon Jackson Museum. The college may be gone, but this fine museum survived because the state of Alaska purchased it in 1983. The unusual b…
Historic Building in Sitka

Russian Bishop's House

East of downtown along Lincoln St, the Russian Bishop’s House is the oldest intact Russian building in Sitka. Built in 1843 out of Sitka spruce, the two-story log house is one of the few surviving examples of Russia…
Church in Sitka

St Michael's Cathedral

Two blocks west of the Centennial Building is the cathedral. Built between 1844 and 1848, the church stood for more than 100 years as Alaska’s finest Russian Orthodox cathedral. When a fire destroyed it in 1966, the…
Hatchery in Sitka

Sitka Sound Science Center

Sitka’s best children’s attraction is this hatchery and science center. Outside, the facade is being restored to its original appearance. Inside the science center are five aquariums, including the impressive 800-ga…
Wildlife Reserve in Sitka

Alaska Raptor Center

The raptor center is reached by turning left on the first gravel road after crossing Indian River. The 17-acre center treats 200 injured birds a year, with its most impressive facility being a 20,000-sq-ft flight-tr…
Museum in Sitka

Sitka Historical Society Museum

Within Sitka's Centennial Building is this museum, which is one room with a good portion of it a gift shop. The rest is crammed with a collection of relics, a model of the town as it appeared in 1867 and displays on…
Notable Building in Sitka

Centennial Building

Historic Site in Sitka

Blockhouse & Princess Maksoutoff’s Grave

Sitka’s Russian background guards the hill north of the Alaska Pioneers Home. The blockhouse is a replica of what the Russians used to protect their stockade from the Indian village.Across Marine St, at the top of P…
Historic Site in Sitka

Castle Hill & Totem Square

Walk west on Lincoln St for the walkway to Castle Hill. Kiksadi clan houses once covered the hilltop site, but in 1836 the Russians built ‘Baranov’s Castle’ atop the hill to house the governor of Russian America. It…