- Hotel Drisco Stately boutique hotel overlooking the Marina.
- Argonaut Hotel Nautical-themed hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.
- Hotel Vitale Contemporary downtowner with knockout waterfront vistas.
- Inn at the Presidio National-park lodge in historic building surrounded by nature.
- Hotel Bohème Artsy, affordable boutique charmer in the heart of North Beach.
By Budget: $
- HI San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Waterfront hostel with million-dollar views.
- San Remo Hotel Spartan furnishings, shared bathrooms, great rates.
- Pacific Tradewinds Hostel Downtown hostel with snappy design.
- Yotel Smart downtown digs with shared workspace.
- Red Victorian Haight commune with shared kitchen and makerspace.
By Budget: $$
- Inn at the Presidio Small luxury inn surrounded by national-park land.
- Hotel Carlton Jet-set vibe with good-value rooms.
- Marker Snazzy design, useful amenities and a central location.
- White Swan Inn Eccentric and fashion-forward near downtown shopping.
- Hotel Kabuki Rock-star hideaway in Japantown.
- Hotel Zeppelin Psychedelic SF style in the heart of downtown.
By Budget: $$$
- Hotel Zephyr Games everywhere and a vast outdoor courtyard.
- Hotel del Sol Colorful theme rooms, plus a heated outdoor pool.
- Argonaut Hotel The Wharf's best hotel, with a giant lobby to explore.
- Americania Hotel Better-than-average motel with pool.
- Metro Hotel Cheerful, snug rooms with pizza and comics downstairs.
- Loews Regency Bridge-to-bridge views from an SF skyscraper.
- Hotel Drisco Billion-dollar bay views atop a mansion-lined ridge.
- Fairmont San Francisco Hilltop vistas plus SF's grandest lobby.
- HI San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Bayfront views in a converted army hospital.
- Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Nob Hill's stately charmer.
- Hotel Vitale Chic waterfront hotel with a Bay Bridge view.
- Chateau Tivoli Legendary boarding house where Mark Twain and sundry opera divas caroused and crashed.
- Inn San Francisco Antique-packed 1872 Italianate mansion with Californian flair including a redwood hot tub.
- Queen Anne Hotel An 1890 mansion and former girls' boarding school that sets the scene for novels and cozy hideaways.
- Parsonage Period-perfect Italianate mansion with airy, glamorous rooms.
- Palace Hotel Turn-of-the-century grandeur: century-old chandeliers, stained glass atrium, Maxfield Parrish paintings.
- Red Victorian A rambling Haight Street Victorian houses a commune, makerspace and open-minded guests.