- Loews Regency Bridge-to-bridge views from a five-star skyscraper.
- Sir Francis Drake Hotel Playful 1920s tower hotel above Union Sq.
- Fairmont San Francisco Hilltop vistas plus SF's grandest lobby.
- Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Nob Hill address for stately charm.
- Hotel Vitale Shagadelic chic with a Bay Bridge view.
- Argonaut Hotel The Wharf's best, with fab bayfront vistas.
- Hotel Zephyr Games everywhere and a vast outdoor courtyard.
- Hotel del Sol Colorful theme rooms, plus a heated outdoor pool.
- Argonaut Hotel The Wharf's best hotel, with a giant lobby to explore.
- Americania Hotel Better-than-average motel with pool.
- Seal Rock Inn Oceanfront family motel, far from the city center.
- HI San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Waterfront hostel with million-dollar views.
- San Remo Hotel Spartan furnishings, shared bathrooms, great rates.
- Pacific Tradewinds Hostel Downtown hostel with snappy design.
- Inn at the Presidio Small luxury inn surrounded by national-park land.
- Kensington Park Hotel Spiffy Union Sq boutique hotel.
- Hotel Carlton Freshly redesigned with good-value rooms.
- Marker Snazzy design, useful amenities, central location.
- Golden Gate Hotel Old-fashioned small hotel with resident cat.
- Coventry Motor Inn Value-priced plain-Jane motel with big rooms.
- Hotel Drisco Stately boutique hotel in civilized Pacific Heights.
- Argonaut Hotel Nautical-themed hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.
- Hotel Vitale Contemporary downtowner with knockout waterfront vistas.
- Inn at the Presidio National-park lodge in historic building surrounded by nature.
- Hotel Bohème Artsy midbudget boutique charmer in the heart of North Beach.
For Victorian Splendor
Chateau Tivoli Legendary boarding house where Mark Twain and sundry opera divas caroused and crashed.
Inn San Francisco Antique-packed 1872 Italianate mansion with Californian flair – including a redwood hot tub.
Queen Anne Hotel An 1890 mansion and former girls' boarding school that sets the scene for novels and cozy hideaways.
Parsonage Period-perfect Italianate mansion with airy, glamorous rooms.
Parker Guest House Stately stays in elegant twin Edwardians sharing a secret garden.
Palace Hotel Turn-of-the-century grandeur: century-old chandeliers, stained glass atrium, Maxfield Parrish paintings.