Philly offers shoppers plenty of interesting options, from authentic Italian groceries to arty souvenirs. You can browse the racks in one of America's grandest and oldest department stores or go food shopping in one of the country's best indoor markets. With no sales tax on clothing it's also the place to invest in an upgrade or refresh of your wardrobe.
Where to Shop
Center City is where most of the shopping action is to be found with Rittenhouse Row (www.rittenhouserow.org) styling itself as the premier retail area, packed with national and international brand stores. Serious competition will come from the new mega-mall Fashion District, spanning three blocks along Market St in Center City East.
For arts, crafts and quirky boutiques zone in on N 2nd and N 3rd Sts in Old City. The east end of South St is also good retail hub, packing plenty of boho-style.
Need to Know
- Malls: 10am to 9pm Monday to Saturday, 11am to 6pm Sunday.
- Shops: 10am to 7pm Monday to Saturday, noon to 6pm Sunday.
Sales tax is 8% but doesn't apply to food or clothing purchases.
- Philadelphia Style (https://phillystylemag.com) A free print magazine with a focus on the lifestyles of Philly's rich and beautiful.
- Green Philly Blog (www.greenphillyblog.com) Tips on leading a sustainable life in the city with a focus on health, beauty and recycling.
- InLiquid (https://inliquid.org) Virtual hub for the visual arts in Philadelphia; good starting point for finding contemporary art galleries.