Health & insurance
Before You Go
- Some health-insurance policies require you to get pre-authorization for non-emergency medical treatment before seeking help.
- Overseas visitors with travel health-insurance policies may need to contact a call center for an assessment by phone before getting medical treatment.
- https://www.cdc.gov Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is the federal agency that conducts and supports health promotion, prevention and preparedness activities in the United States.
- San Francisco City Clinic Contact this organization about sexually transmitted diseases, emergency contraception or post-exposure prevention of HIV.
In Northern California
Availability and Cost of Health Care
- Medical treatment in the USA is of the highest caliber, but the expense could kill you.
- Many health-care professionals demand payment at time of service, especially from out-of-towners or international visitors.
The tap water is safe to drink.
- For medical emergencies, call 911 or go to the nearest 24-hour hospital emergency room (ER).
- For non-emergency medical treatment, phone around to find a doctor who will accept your insurance.