Drinking & Nightlife
- Silvana Hidden basement bar in Harlem with great live music every night of the week.
- House of Yes Unrivaled destination for a wild night out at this Bushwick warehouse space.
- Apothéke An atmospheric lounge and former opium den with great cocktails hidden away in Chinatown.
- Rue B An appealing little East Village venue with live jazz and a fun crowd.
- Ear Inn Creaking old-school SoHo pub with jazz on Sundays and wooden tables.
- Maison Premiere Absinthe, juleps and oysters shine bright at this Big Easy tribute in Williamsburg.
Classic Date Bars
- Manhattan Cricket Club Intimate, handsomely designed cocktail spot in the Upper West Side.
- Pegu Club Made-from-scratch concoctions in a Burma-inspired SoHo hideaway.
- Ten Bells Candlelit beauty with great drinks and tapas in the Lower East Side.
- Little Branch Speakeasy-chic is all the craze, but no one does it quite like this West Village hideout.
- Bar Goto Lower East Side icon under the helm of New York's most famous mixologist.
- Dead Rabbit Meticulously researched cocktails, punches and pop-inns – lightly hopped ales spiked with different flavors – in a snug FiDi den.
- Employees Only Award-winning barkeeps and arresting libations in the timeless West Village.
- Raines Law Room Well-composed cocktails from serious mixologists in a Prohibition-style den near Union Sq.
- Genuine Liquorette A Cali-style bodega in Little Italy, where innovative drinks meet playful irreverence.
- Death & Co Brilliant combinations dreamed up by the city's top tastemakers.
- Terroir Tribeca An enlightened, encyclopedic wine list in trendy Tribeca.
- La Compagnie des Vins Surnaturels A love letter to Gallic wines steps away from Little Italy.
- Buvette A buzzing, candlelit wine bar on a tree-lined West Village street.
- Immigrant Wonderful wines and service in a skinny East Village setting.
- Spuyten Duyvil A much-loved Williamsburg spot serving unique, high-quality crafts.
- Harlem Hops Pair craft brews with spicy meat pies at Harlem's only 100% African American–owned beer bar.
- Astoria Bier & Cheese Artisanal suds meet gourmet cheeses in Astoria, Queens.
- Proletariat Tiny East Village bar serving up extremely uncommon brews.
- Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden Czech beer served with thick accents at NYC’s favorite beer garden in underrated Queens.
- Bronx Brewery Community-minded microbrewery with excellent brews and a creative events roster.
- Ghost Donkey Eclectic downtown space that specializes in mezcal and tequila.
- Brandy Library Blue-blooded cognacs, brandies and more for Tribeca connoisseurs.
- Rum House Unique, coveted rums and a pianist to boot in Midtown.
- Dead Rabbit NYC’s finest collection of rare Irish whiskeys in the Financial District.
Dance Clubs & House DJs
- Sunny’s Our favorite Red Hook dive, near the Brooklyn waterfront.
- Cowgirl SeaHorse Always a good time at this nautically themed drinkery in Lower Manhattan.
- Anable Basin Sailing Bar & Grill No-nonsense waterfront bar in Queens with jaw-dropping views of Manhattan.
- Ear Inn Expect friendly, diverse patrons and straight-froward service at one of the oldest drinking establishments in NYC.
- Montero Bar and Grill Ramshackle Brooklyn charm with cheap beer and karaoke.
- Stumptown Coffee Roasters Hipster baristas serving Portland’s favorite cup o’ joe.
- Bluestone Lane Aussie brewing prowess in the shadow of Wall St.
- Blue Bottle Coffee Specialty coffee roasted on-site in Brooklyn.
- La Colombe Sucker-punch roasts for the downtown cognoscenti.
- Little Collins A tribute to Melbourne coffee culture in Midtown East.
- Kaffe 1668 South Caffeinated glory (and room to sit) in Tribeca.
- MatchaBar Skip the traditional espresso and treat yourself to a rich, flavorful matcha latte.
Best in Brooklyn
- Brandy Library Civilized Tribeca spot in which to take your time over top-shelf cognac, whiskey and brandy.
- Spuyten Duyvil Low-key Brooklyn beer bar with sociable locals.
- Caledonia A long, comfortable bar staffed by folk who love to chat about whiskey, on the Upper East Side.
- Ides Craft cocktails and beers on a hotel rooftop in Williamsburg.
- La Compagnie des Vins Surnaturels Frenchified Nolita wine cavern with bar-counter seating and a top-class list of wines by the glass.
- Irving Farm Roasters Artisanal coffee chain where customers ditch wi-fi in favor of books.