Gay & Lesbian Travellers
The most visible gay communities are in major cities. Utah and southern Arizona are typically not as freewheeling as San Francisco. Gay travelers should be careful in predominantly rural areas – simply holding hands could provoke aggressive responses.
The most active gay community in the Southwest is in Phoenix. Santa Fe and Albuquerque have active gay communities, and Las Vegas has an active gay scene. Conservative Utah has little gay life outside Salt Lake City. The following are useful resources:
- Damron (www.damron.com) Publishes classic gay travel guides.
- OutTraveler (www.outtraveler.com) News, tips and in-depth stories about gay travel for destinations around the world.
- Gay Yellow Network (www.glyp.com) Has listings for numerous US cities including Phoenix and Las Vegas.
- Purple Roofs (www.purpleroofs.com) Lists gay-owned and gay-friendly B&Bs and hotels.
- National Gay & Lesbian Task Force The website of this national activist group covers news and politics.
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund The website lists legal protections for LGBT people and their families by state.