Budget: Less than $150
- Hostel or cheap hotel: $100
- Self-catering and inexpensive restaurants: $40
- Walking and taking rideshares: $5-10
- Self-guided tours: free
- Double room in midrange hotel: $150–200
- Midrange meals per day: $50–75
- Car or bike rental: $12–30
- City walking tour: $20
Top end: More than $250
- High-end sleeping: from $350
- Top-flight meal (with tax and tip): $75 or more
- Private transport per day: $50
- Ticket to a plantation: $25
Gentle haggling is common in flea markets; in all other instances you’re expected to pay the stated price.
ATMs are widespread, and credit cards are accepted almost everywhere. The US dollar ($) is standard currency.
A tip is expected in most cases for a job well done.
- Restaurants 15% is adequate, 18% is standard and 20% will be highly appreciated.
- Hotels A few dollars per night for the housekeeper is a lovely gesture.
- Other staff Between $2 and $5 is the norm for someone who valets your car or carries your bag.