Welcome to Arcata
The North Coast’s most progressive town, Arcata surrounds a tidy central square that fills with college students, campers, transients and tourists. Sure, it occasionally reeks of patchouli and its politics lean far left, but its earnest embrace of sustainability has fostered some of the most progressive civic action in America. Here, garbage trucks run on biodiesel, recycling gets picked up by tandem bicycle, wastewater gets filtered clean in marshlands and almost every street has a bike lane. Predictably enough, organic products and produce are the norm, art-and-craft markets are rampant and vegans are well catered to.
Amazing hotels and hostels
We've pre-picked the best hotels, hostels and bed and breakfasts to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Food and drink
- SALT Fish House in ArcataSeafood
- Slice of Humboldt Pie in ArcataCalifornian
- T's Cafe in ArcataCafe
- Arcata Scoop in ArcataIce Cream
- Wildflower Cafe & Bakery in ArcataCafe
- Los Bagels in ArcataBagels
- Cafe Brio in ArcataCafe
- Japhy’s Soup & Noodles in ArcataNoodles
- Wildberries Marketplace in ArcataMarket
- Don’s Donuts in ArcataFast Food