Dubai is modern and by and large tolerant, but visitors should also respect that it is a Muslim city. Here are some do's and don'ts:
- Dress Both men and women should dress modestly. Swimwear is acceptable on the beach and by the pool only.
- Public affection Holding hands is OK, long kisses or hugs are not.
- Drinking Don't indulge in excessive public drinking, and never drink and drive.
- Greetings Use your right hand to greet someone or take or give something. Don't offer to shake hands unless it is extended to you first.
- Sitting Pointing the soles of your shoes at anyone or crossing your legs is considered rude.
- Language Swearing and using rude hand gestures could lead to fines.
- Photos Always ask before taking a photo of locals.
- Conversation Don't bring up controversial topics, such as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.