Here's a quick run-down on what you may and may not bring into Dubai. For the full story, see www.dubaicustoms.gov.ae.
Anyone aged over 18 years is allowed to bring in the following duty-free:
- 400 cigarettes plus 50 cigars plus 500g of loose tobacco.
- 4L of alcohol or two cartons (24 cans) of beer (non-Muslims only).
- Gifts not exceeding Dhs3000 in value.
You are not allowed to bring in:
- Alcohol if you cross into the UAE by land.
- Narcotics of any kind.
- Electronic cigarettes.
- Materials (ie books) that insult Islam.
- Firearms, pornography or Israeli products.
You must declare to Customs:
- Cash (or equivalent) more than Dhs100,000.
- Gifts with a value of more than Dhs3000.
- As of October 2018, all tourists and residents entering the UAE are required to complete a form online before entering the country to obtain approval to carry medication for personal use. The form can be downloaded free on the MoHAP website (www.mohap.gov.ae) or its app.
Passports must be valid for at least six months from the date of entry into the UAE.
Citizens of 49 countries, including all EU countries, the US, the UK, Canada and Australia, are eligible for free 30-day single-entry visas on arrival in Dubai.
- Entry requirements to the UAE are in constant flux. Always obtain the latest requirements from the UAE embassy in your home country.
- Travellers not eligible for an on-arrival visa (including transit visitors) must have a visitor visa arranged through a sponsor, such as your Dubai hotel, a tour operator or a relative or friend in Dubai before arriving.
Visit visas can be extended twice for 60 days for Dhs220 and a fair amount of paperwork by the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs. The process usually takes one day, and you may be asked to provide proof of funds. To avoid the hassle, many visitors opt to leave the country for a few hours and obtain a new entry stamp upon returning.
Visas for Oman
The cost of a 30-day tourist visa for Oman is OR20 (approximately Dhs190). Many nationalities are eligible to apply for a tourist visa online via https://evisa.rop.gov.om. Otherwise, visas are issued on arrival.