Ukrainians are pretty relaxed about foreigners making the odd faux pas, but there are a few dos and don'ts you should know about to avoid embarrassment.
- Always remove your shoes when entering someone's house – slippers will be provided.
- Bring a small gift when invited to someone's home.
- Saying the odd dobry den (hello), do pobachenya (goodbye) and dyakuju (thanks) goes a long way.
- Women should cover their heads in Orthodox churches.
- On public transport, give up your seat to those with children.
- Avoid declaring constantly how cheap Ukraine is for you – it ain't for most locals.
- Be wary of talking to strangers about the war with Russia and the occupation of Crimea.