- A travel insurance policy covering theft, loss and medical expenses is recommended.
- A huge variety of policies is available; check small print.
- Some policies exclude 'dangerous activities', which can include scuba diving, motorcycling and even trekking.
- Some policies may not cover you if you travel to regions of the country where your government warns against travel, such as areas near the Syrian border.
- If you cancel your trip on the advice of an official warning against travel, your insurer may not cover you.
- Look into whether your regular health insurance and motor insurance will cover you in Turkey.
- Worldwide travel insurance is available at www.lonelyplanet.com/travel-insurance. You can buy, extend and claim online anytime – even if you're already on the road.
Checking insurance quotes…