Tunisian dinar (DT)
Budget: Less than 60DT
- Room in a budget hostel: 20DT
- Meal in a cheap local restaurant: 6DT
- Louage (shared taxi) tickets: 2DT
- Double room in a midrange hotel: 70–120DT
- Meal in a good local restaurant: 20DT
- Private taxis: 5DT
Top end: More than 200DT
- Double room in top-end hotel: 150–300DT
- Meal in a top-end restaurant: 40DT
- Chartered day excursions: 200DT
Handicrafts and souvenirs sold in the medina are about the only items you’ll have to bargain for in Tunis. To be good at bargaining, you need to enjoy the banter. Once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun, though it’s often frustrating. Knowing a few words of Arabic or French really helps smooth the way. Note that in tourist areas prices can start absurdly high.
Branches of the major banks with ATMs are found throughout the city, including at the airport, in the medina and on Ave Habib Bourguiba in Centre Ville.