US dollars (US$). Anything under US$2 can be paid in centavos (cv).
Budget: Less than $US50
- Dorm bed US$14–20
- Local restaurant meal US$3
- Short taxi trip US$2
- Bus trip to the districts US$6
- Snorkel trip off Ataùro US$10
- Double room in budget hotel US$30–45
- Tourist restaurant meal US$12
- Single dive US$45–60
- 4WD and driver US$130 per day
Top end: More than US$150
- Double room in hotel US$85
- 4WD and driver with guide skills US$245 per day
Bargain with Dili's yellow taxi drivers before you start your journey. If you don't like bargaining, catch a metered blue taxi instead. There is a malae (foreigner) price for goods at roadside stalls – bargain for the local price.