• Many Timorese had family or friends killed during Indonesian occupation, so broach these topics carefully. Having said that, many are willing to share their stories.
• Paying a local to guide you up a mountain, to a waterfall or rock art spreads the tourist dollar and stops you inadvertently crossing onto sacred land.
• Timorese women are usually modestly dressed; it's respectful if travellers cover up too.
• Pay the mikrolet driver after you exit the vehicle.
• It's polite to lower your right arm and duck if you are walking in front/between people.