US dollars (US$). Anything under US$2 can be paid in centavos (cv).
Budget: Less than $US50
- Dorm bed US$14–20
- Local restaurant meal US$3
- Short taxi trip US$2
- Bus trip to the districts US$6
- Snorkel trip off Ataùro US$10
- Double room in budget hotel US$30–45
- Tourist restaurant meal US$12
- Single dive US$45–60
- 4WD and driver US$130 per day
Top end: More than US$150
- Double room in hotel US$85
- 4WD and driver with guide skills US$245 per day
Bargain with Dili's yellow taxi drivers before you start your journey. If you don't like bargaining, catch a metered blue taxi instead. There is a malae (foreigner) price for goods at roadside stalls – bargain for the local price.
There are few ATMs outside Dili. Expensive hotels sometimes accept credit cards.
Only tip if you genuinely feel the service deserves it. If you are asked to tip excessively post (an expensive) tour, suggest the guide asks his/her employer to increase their wages.