Forget fine dining – Rotterdammers don't like formality and fuss, and are at their happiest when enjoying fresh, seasonally driven, cafe-style food. The city is replete with informal restaurants and also has two great food markets – Markthal and Fenix Food Factory – that have eateries alongside produce stalls.
- AJÍ Small plates with loads of flavour.
- Fenix Food Factory Graze on produce and meals offered by artisan producers.
- CEO Baas van Het Vlees The best steaks in the city.
- Urban Espresso Bar Top-notch cafe fare.
- Pierre Neighbourhood bistro with a Gallic decor and menu.
- De IJsmaker Italian-style gelato, served in cups and cones.
By Budget: €
- Fenix Food Factory A collective of producers who sell their wares in a former warehouse in Katendrecht.
- Urban Espresso Bar The food is as good as the coffee at this on-trend cafe.
- Hopper House-baked bread and pastries make this an excellent breakfast and lunch stop.
- De IJsmaker Simply sensational Italian-style ice cream.
By Budget: €€
- AJÍ Small plates with an Asian slant, served in stylish surrounds.
- HMB Sleek restaurant serving sophisticated, beautifully presented contemporary cuisine
- Pierre Parisian-style neighbourhood bistro that's a great choice at all times of the day.
- Asian Glories Modern rifts on Chinese classics, and great dim sum.
- Lof der Zoetheid Home of Rotterdam's most splendiferous high tea.
By Budget: €€€
- Picknick Globally inspired dishes and signature 'Picknick Platters'.
- Rolph's Deli All-day breakfasts including bagels and broodjes (sandwiches) with multiple toppings.
- Pierre Flakey, buttery croissants and a textbook-perfect croque monsieur.
- Bertmans Treats including pannenkoekjes (pancakes), avocado toast and a delicious fruit crumble.
- Man Met Bril The city's best-value breakfast deal and most impressive coffee.
- Dudok Home to the city's best apple pie.
- Lof der Zoetheid Lavish and delicious high tea, complete with samovar tea.
- Urban Bakery Rotterdam's best cupcakes and brownies.
- De IJsmaker Freshly churned, super-smooth gelato in fruit, nut and chocolate flavours.
- Koen Authentic Italian-style gelato made fresh daily.
The following price ranges refer to a main course:
€ less than €12
€€€ more than €25