Locals are equally enamoured of coffee and beer, and can often be convinced to enjoy an expertly made cocktail, too. There's no lack of cafes, cocktail bars, microbreweries and pubs – many with outdoor seating for summer – and these are scattered across a variety of neighbourhoods. Witte de Withstraat is the main bar street.
Drinking & Nightlife
- Eurotrash United Favoured watering hole of the city's bohemian set.
- Aloha Green-credentialed cafe/bar with a terrace overlooking the Maas.
- Biergarten Popular, ultra-casual meeting spot.
- Suicide Club The hippest watering hole in town.
- Bokaal Light on pretension, heavy on fun.
- Stirr Whether shaken or stirred, the cocktails here are always top-notch.
- Kaapse Brouwers Great location in the Fenix Food Factory on the banks of the Maas River.
- Stadsbrouwerij De Pelgrim Canalside seating and signature Mayflower Tripel brew.
- Eurotrash United Student and artist hang-out, with beer almost as good as the brewery's name.
- Brouwerij Noordt In the happening Noord neighbourhood; 20 tipples on tap.
- Aloha Huge sun-drenched terrace overlooking the Nieuwe Maas, and a focus on sustainability.
- Hotel NY Terrace Bar Watch the action on the water from this sunny spot on the point of Kop van Zuid.
- Biergarten Beer, barbecue and a student vibe in a popular meeting spot.
- Suicide Club Fashionable rooftop bar with views over the city rooftops.
- Bokaal The terrace here spills out into Nieuwmark and heaves with drinkers on summer nights.
- nhow Bar Sensational view from a balcony terrace in the iconic De Rotterdam building.
- Café De Ouwehoer Bohemian bar in the heart of Rotterdam’s former harbour red-light district.
- De Witte Aap The best bar on Witte de Withstraat, with great people-watching opportunities.
- Verward The type of wine bar that every neighborhood needs; friendly staff, delicious wine.
- De Oude Sluis A popular Delfshaven drinking den pouring beers since 1912.